Hardware and RAID configuration
This was an 8x750GB drive RAID 5 holding two HFS+ partitions.
The RAID controller failed. The drives were removed from the server. Information about the RAID controller was not available.
- All drives appeared fine. Data and parity data were intact.
- The second HFS+ partition was found with key file system structures intact.
- Only fragments of the file system structures could be located for the first partition.
- We reconstructed the RAID using all drives.
- We used File Scavenger® to recover data from the second (good) HFS+ partition.
- For the first (corrupted) partition we gathered all found fragments containing the file system structure.
With this information we were able to interpolate the location of the HFS+ partition and to recreate key directory structures.
- The second HFS+ partition was completely recovered.
- Most data on the first HFS+ partition was recovered.